The Next Journalism – Applying AI, Alternative Intelligence


I saw this Facebook sharing by Tony Moran on Joel Pablo Salud's essay titled, "New Journalism And The Rebel Storytellers" (29 May 2019, Philippines Graphic, philippinesgraphic.net), and was intrigued, as Andre Santillana and he were commenting on the New Journalism. This was Mr Salud's lecture at the University of Santo Tomas, UST. Neither the date when Mr Salud spoke was mentioned, nor the name of the "National Literature Month 2019." Even good journalists miss to mention some important data or info. 

I think those 2 missing pieces of important information taken together betrays our lack of appreciation as well as application of the digital platform for socially engaged journalism – and that is what this essay is about.

Mr Salud's application of the New Journalism is exciting, immersive, revealing, and revered worldwide by intellectuals. But it is old – and individualistic. If I may borrow from John Donne's meditative poem "No Man Is An Island," this will make it clearer:

No author is an island entire of himself;
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.

Self-styled writer, I should know that, enjoying a digital life now spanning 24 years and at least 100 blogs of different fields and subjects that contain a total of at least 5,000 long essays of at least 1,000 words each. Google "Frank A. Hilario" and get to know me better.

I did invent "Alternative Journalism" 2 years ago on Innocents Day (28 December 2016, "Truth & The Power Of A New Journalism," Alternative Journalism, blogspot.com). I loved it, but that was still New Journalism, telling lessons by telling stories – just like Mr Salud is telling his audience.

This time, Alternative Intelligence Journalism is taking advantage of alternative thinking and alternative platform – digital.

I'm 79 now; I taught myself personal computing – if I can do it, you can do it!

Differently, I see that our journalists, starting from my favorite American author Ernest Hemingway to Norman Mailer to our own Nick Joaquin and now Joel Pablo Salud, are rich in the sense of style but poor in the sense of serving the people.

Bernard of Clairvaux says (thanks! Goodreads, goodreads.com):

There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.
There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.
There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.


With AI Journalism, I hope to serve Love.

Beyond the New Journalism, AI Journalism is cultivating the intelligence of the people. They must think for themselves!

The name of the art is new: Alternative Intelligence Journalism, but the nuance of the application of the art is old: 44 years, starting when I became Editor in Chief of those 3 major publications of the Forest Research Institute: monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly technical journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly color magazine Habitat.

Beyond New Journalism, AI Journalism is pointing out options for action. Such as this one is. For the people, we writers don't have all the answers – but we should ask all the questions!517

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What We Are Witness Of Is All Unlove – Where Is The Love?”

To Celebrate People Power Revolution, I Am Calling For A Media Power Revolution Starting Now!

Life Lessons You Learn As You Go – Here I Go!