To Celebrate People Power Revolution, I Am Calling For A Media Power Revolution Starting Now!

February 1986. We were watching TV and listening to the still-bravely-broadcasting single radio station. The Philippines’ historic 4-day “EDSA People Power Revolution” in Manila happened 22-25 February 1986. Me, I wasn’t there on EDSA in the first few days because of fear for my life, but on Friday, 24 Feb, listening to the radio I thought that FM’s soldiers were winning – and so I conquered my fear and joined the throng of people walking EDSA. I walked from Guadalupe Bridge to the gate of Camp Crame. When helicopters hovered over the building near the gate, I thought they had come to bombard Crame to kingdom come. No. Yes, they were sympathizers of the leaders of the rebel soldiers: Fidel Ramos and Juan Ponce Enrile
(“Anniversary EDSA” from bing.com)

I then walked to Channel 4 of the government’s TV station, already captured by EDSA people. I don’t remember what the fellow being interviewed said, but I was happy.

When I got out of Channel 4 and returned to the gate of Camp Crame, the announcement was made that Marcos had fled the country!

Almost 4 decades later – What now?

I do not see a People Power Revolution working for the good of the people. There is only a People Power Revolution To-Be-Continued.

Now then, I propose a Media Power Revolution! Let all Philippine media – print, voice and digital – speak for the poor (in my case, especially for the millions of poor farmers and their families).

No holds barred. Except that I insist that the journalism to be practiced is 100% all kindness. I call it THiNK! Journalism, and it goes like this:

True? If True, is it
Helpful? If Helpful, is it
Inspiring? If Inspiring, is it
Necessary? If Necessary, is it
Kind? Then go ahead with your THiNK! Journalism.

Yes, it’s a very different kind of journalism – where there is assurance that there is no hate called for on any person, or any number of undemocratic acts resorted to. Nobody will worry about what long-standing columnist Florangel Rosario Braid is afraid of (see her “Safety Of Community Journalists,” Manila Bulletin, mb.com.ph).

True? The Media Revolution must seek the Truth always. No matter what happens. But, this time, Truth must be seen in all 4 additional ways, as follows:

Helpful?
Inspiring
?
Necessary?
Kind?

We are living not in the Middle Ages but in the Media Ages. It’s time the media contribute their best for the best of the people and not simply condemn, confront, or criticize government – instead, the Media Power Revolution must single-mindedly go for constructive, nay not simply sustainable but regenerative development.

I’m an agriculturist (BSA major in Ag Edu, UPLB 1965), and so I communicate for Regenerative Agriculture (RA). Instead of poisoning the soil with chemicals, we must help the soil regenerate itself such as by returning the crop leftovers to it – a natural magic that has to be seen by most if not all media people themselves.

Workers of media, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!@517

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What We Are Witness Of Is All Unlove – Where Is The Love?”

Life Lessons You Learn As You Go – Here I Go!